Keokuk Union Depot, Keokuk, IA
Ludowici Flat Slab Shingle, Summer Rose
Keokuk Union Depot Foundation and Restoric LLC
The Keokuk Union Depot was historically significant as a Midwestern center of regional rail transportation during the late 19th and early 20th centuries. The original clay tile roof endured for nearly 60 years and was replaced with asphalt shingles in the late 1940’s. The Keokuk Union Depot Foundation, with the City of Keokuk, raised over $1.3 million in funds to return the depot to it’s original historic condition. Neal Vogel, with Restoric LLC, was paramount in the ongoing coordination of funding, design, and project management for this project. His expertise in design renovation recreated the historical details that had been removed or destroyed in the buildings’ history. Neal is a native of Keokuk and had the driving interest to preserve this Southeast Iowa landmark. After extensive research, Ludowici was selected as the ONLY American company capable of producing the historically appropriate tile for this project.